tracker

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Education

It has been quite a while since I last blogged.  Life has been hectic, and that hasn't changed.  We are getting ready to put our house on the market and move across town.  That in of it's self is an adventure.  However, I had a few minutes tonight as I am waiting for children to settle down for the night, and thought I would take a minute and write.

I spent the evening with one of my homeschooling friends, which has brought about some thoughts on my part.  As any of you who regularly read my blog know, we haven't always homeschooled.  Up until we moved to the great state of Texas, my two older children attended public school.  Their experience there was wonderful, and hard for us to leave.   We had high hopes for our new school.  However, after a mere three weeks, those hopes were dashed.  The message I got, loud and clear was "parents, are not needed in our school."  This did not jive well with me, and after a lot of prayer, I felt directed to take a path I had previously shunned.  That of homeschooling.

Homeschooling hasn't been all roses however.  Guy is a very stubborn child (hm, wonder where he got that from).  Working with him is a continuous uphill battle.  Aurora, has a lot of fears, these tend to hold her back.  Cinderella, could steer herself to the moon, if she decided she wanted too, but if you ask her to do something she finds overwhelming it is the end of the world.  Then there is Spike.  He wants to do what the older kids are doing, but really doesn't understand.  He tries however.  And Scooter, well he is your average two year old with his need for attention and play time with mom.  It is a hard balance, and one that I feel like I fail at.  

As we are getting ready to move, the hubs and I have considered the idea of putting the kids back into school.  They want to go, and in some ways I can see how it could be better for them.  However, I'm not sure I want to give up all the freedom I have found with homeschooling.  Anyway, as we face this debacle I have been pondering what I think some of the problems from today's education stem from.  And I know there are a lot of opinions out there.  Education is a hot topic.  However, I think something that can be a common problem in public education is the attitude.  

The public feel like a public education is not only a right, but a must.  When your child reaches school age, you put them in school, that is just what you do.  The school sees it as, we don't have a choice.  Our kids HAVE to go to school, and they HAVE to deal with them.  (I know I am generalizing here, and that not everyone, both on the side of the public and the schools see it this way.).   However some of these things are changing.  There are more charter schools available, and homeschooling is becoming more popular and accepted.  There is also the private school option.   

If we as parents, faced the situation looking at all the options, and addressed the schools in a way that let them know, we don't HAVE to send our children here.  You aren't our only option.  If I don't find your school acceptable, I can and will send my child(ren) elsewhere.   Over time would the attitude change?  I don't know.  I have the feeling if I walked into an elementary school, and asked to interview their 3rd grade teachers to decide if any of them were right for my child, I would be laughed out of the building.  But should I be?  I know as parents we can have skewed views on our children.  Every parent wants to believe their child is someone exceptional.  Bright and talented.  But I believe that we also know our children's weaknesses.  We know where they struggle and what kind of personalities they butt heads with.  

In reality, I think a school system that takes into consideration the opinions of the parent, and the opinions of the teachers, and the school, are the kind of schools that achieve true excellence.  And that, is what I think we should strive for.

2 comments:

Christine Oldham said...

Well said! I sure miss your fun and well organized chaos. Wish you and the family all the best!

Corinne said...

Great thoughts and discussion here. We do have such a big stewardship for the education of our kids. You are doing a great job being prayerful and informed. I love that we have options! Way to go!