tracker

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Home schooling?

I have always said home schooling was something I can't do.  Not because I have a negative opinion of it in general, but because I often feel overwhelmed when I have all of my kids home for an extended period of time.  Also I am afraid that I will overload myself and find I can't keep up with the pace I set.

When we lived in Utah I was really happy with the school that my kids went to, and had no desire to change things.  I want to do what is best for my children, all of them, and what is best for me.

I know we haven't been in TX very long, and in moving during the middle of a school year can be a hard transition.  I haven't met my children's teachers, and would really like to.  I feel a serious lack in communication between them and me.  Shortly after our first week of school report cards came home.  I wasn't expecting anything, because I knew that my children had barely been included in that term.  I looked at their report cards, and did nothing else with them.  Well, unknown to me, I was supposed to sign Cinderella's report card and send it back.  That was not communicated to me or her.  So I didn't do it.  She then ended up having to miss recess until we got it turned in.

Because TX isn't a common core state, the things they are studying here are different, and at a different pace than their old school.  We knew this would be the case, but Cinderella is having a hard time with it.  She gets frustrated when she gets extra homework, because the class is having a hard time grasping what is a new concept to them, but one she has already mastered.   She has also had times that she had to miss out on recess, due to having not completed something, that she wasn't even there when the item was assigned.

Guy is struggling in his own way.  I think he is testing his boundaries and trying to see what he can get away with.  However this is just a guess on my side.  All I have is a paper that the teacher sends home daily that has a colored dot that correlates with classroom behavior, and maybe a brief description of a few words.  I then have to ask Guy what he did, and he doesn't always know, or if he does he doesn't want to admit it to me.  He claims everything are accidents.  Stepping on the back of the shoes of the person in front of him in line, poking someone with a pencil while handing it to them.  I can see how these can be accidents, I can also see why the teacher feels the need to discipline for them, I just wish I had a way to better understand what is happening when I am not there.


Then there is Aurora.  She will start kindergarten next school year.  However she has some serious separation issues.  I think in some ways it would be good for her to learn to be away from me.  I don't want to compound the issue, and in some ways I am afraid that sending her to school will make things better, because she will have to make that adjustment.  However I thought that this last year with preschool as well, and it wasn't happening.  Probably about 90% of the time I would drop her off at preschool (which happened every Tues/Thurs morning) she would cling to me, and scream about me leaving.  I would have to hand her to the teacher and walk away.  She would fight with the teacher so she could come after me, screaming the whole time.  I never gave in, I tried to be firm, and consistent.  Finally when we knew we would be moving, so I knew she wouldn't finish out the school year anyway, and she was really struggling with the idea of moving, I pulled her out of preschool.  I am not sure if that was the right choice or not, but it isn't one I can change.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine who home schools her daughter.  I had a thought that maybe I could home school Aurora, if this continues to be a problem once she starts school.  However it may also just compound her struggles.  Well then when my older kids came home from school Guy told me, "Look what I got."  and held up a gigantic shiny black belt.  I asked where he got it, and he told me the school nurse gave it to him.  And that his teacher told him he needs to wear a belt every day.  OK so I know his pants fall down, and kids make fun of him.  I will put belts on him, and maybe he has changed shape enough in the last  bit that it will help, but  I don't know.  Also in his homework folder, I find that he has earned a red dot for the day, which means he had very poor behavior.  I then had the thought that maybe I should home school all of my kids.  I don't want to make a rash decision.  I don't want to coddle my children.

However since I have started pondering on this subject, I have had thoughts about how home schooling could improve my ability to teach them some things, like doing chores around the house, and life skills.  I try to do these things anyway, however with school being 7 hours of the day, I find that I have a hard time fitting in chores for my school children.  I find that the constant struggle and battle of  just doing homework (which I think is mostly busywork) wears me down enough, I don't have the energy to fight about chores, which is what it turns into at that point.  Maybe I am just seeing things through rose colored glasses, and thinking everything would be easier if the kids were home all day.

But the thing is, I don't really think that.  I think having them home would be stressful in some ways.  I think trying to get them to do school work could be a constant battle in some ways.  I think that I would have an  emotionally trying time having all of my children underfoot all the time.  I think it could still be really hard to get them to do chores, and with me trying to be their teacher, I won't have as much time available to keep the house clean and so the house will turn into a pig sty.  I think that I might wish I had some place to send the children (like school) on a regular basis just to get a little bit of down time.


As you can probably tell, I am really not sure what the best solution is.  But it is what I am thinking about right now.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I can see your dilemma. Personally I have no interest in homeschooling. I am glad for the break from kids when they are in school. I also think they would out smart me pretty quick, I was never very good in school. For you, I recommend marching down to the school and meeting with the principal and the teachers right away! communication could solve most of those problems. Maybe try getting your oldest onto a charter school next year. It might be more her level. I know its been great for rachel.
Good luck with everything!

Michelle and Tony said...

I would meet the teachers ASAP. I think you would feel better if the communication was better between you and the school. Home schooling would be really hard and I think most kids need to social part of school just as much as the educational part.
Good luck.

Laurel said...

I actually think--especially since it's so close to the end of the year--that homeschooling at this point might be an awesome experience for you. I'd say at least try it, finish everyone up, have a great summer, and then when Fall comes, you can decide whether you want to keep going ... or just plug them back into their new grades and new classes.

Maybe it depends on how social you want them to be? If they homeschool with you these next few months, they won't be meeting (and engaging) with as many kids as they could if they went to school.

But life skills and things you could teach them these next couple months? ... You can do it. I say take it on for size! If it doesn't work, you can say you tried it. If you love it, there you go.

Erin said...

Although I do think communicating with the school makes a HUGE difference, I agree with Laurel. We had similar experiences when we moved here, we ended up pulling them out for the last semester and homeschooling them. Then we put them back into the local ISD school for two years. And then home again for two. We switched schools and they're currently very happy where they are and I'm happy too. They've been there for 2 years and we have no plans to bring them home anytime soon. The road we've been on has been our own and it's been exactly what we needed to do. I believe it's a very personal decision and you'll know what's best for your family, and even each child. What works for one doesn't work for all. If you have questions msg me on Facebook and I'll get you my number. Even if you just want to vent. I get it. I've been there.

LaShaunna said...

I have home schooled my children for the last 6 years and love it. Yes, there are many days that I just want to send them all off to school and have some peace (and a clean house for more then 10 minutes). I did send my daughter, Emma to kindergarten cause she was so shy and clingy. She's almost 9 now and is still very shy, but what's wrong with shy? Kids get social time with other kids, there's church, achievement days, scouts and so many other opportunities to practice their social skills, join a homeschool co-op. Think of all the things you could teach your children! In the end, you just have to pray about it, the Lord will guide you and let you know what is best for your little ones. I wish you luck!