tracker

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Kids and friends

I have found myself with a bit of a problem and could use some advice.  Recently,  I was informed that my children struggle socially.   This isn't news to me, but is something I don't often think about.   Cinderella informed me that she feels like she doesn't really have any friends.   Guy's school teacher told me that he doesn't seem to know how to interact with others.

In thinking about it I realized that while my children interact great with their siblings,  they don't really get much interaction with children outside our family. 

We live on a small cul-de-sac that doesn't have very many other children on it, and the area where the neighborhood children play, when the weather is nice, is out of sight.  Making it difficult for the kids to just go out and play with others.

I don't often go out to others homes, because I am not invited,  and I don't want to intrude.   (I know this is rather silly, because I wouldn't mind if someone just dropped in to visit us, and I don't invite others here very often).  If I got out more I am sure it would help the younger kids to establish friendships,.  However, I don't know that my school age children would benefit much.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me?  How do you encourage your children to be more social,  or help them to make friends?

1 comment:

Sara Hammond said...

I was holding this post in my reader, because I was excited to see the suggestions. Sorry that you haven't gotten any yet.

Our ward has multiple play group options. Is there anything like that in your area? Or is it something worth stepping out of your comfort zone to initiate?