tracker

Saturday, March 13, 2010

When do you keep a kid home from school?

So as the winter season has been coming to an end, my kids have been hit hard by all the illnesses that are going around. And there have been times that I have wondered if I should send Cinderella to preschool or not.

For me there are some givens. If they are running a fever, have no energy, have a highly contagious disease like "pink eye" (had that one last week), are so sick they are spending the day in the bathroom. That kind of thing. I keep them home.

But if the kid just has a cough, maybe a little runny nose? You know regular cold symptoms. They are still "sick" they could infect others. They aren't acting sick. Do you send them or keep them home?

Children on average have around 9 cold per year. Each cold can last 4-10 days. If I keep my kid home from school when ever they have a cold they could miss up to 72 days a year just for the cold.

Cinderella has asthma, and so she sometimes has a cough when that is the ONLY thing wrong with her. So do I keep her home when she is coughing?

Our elementary school has the policy that kids need to be in school unless they have a "verifiable illness or family emergency." OK so that makes sense, but what is a "verifiable illness"?

I don't want to get other kids sick, but I don't want my kid to miss the whole school year either.

So, when do you keep your kids home sick?

4 comments:

Rose said...

I'm like you... I send my son to school when he's throwing up, has pink eye, etc...

For the runny nose, as long as it's clear or maybe a little yellow, I'll still send them. Dark yellow or green, I would keep them home!

For coughing, I'd probably still send him. Unless he was so hoarse that it sounded like he was about to cough up one of his lungs!

Sounds like you're doing fine with deciding when to send her and when not to send her. Colds and the such are just a part of life, and it's not going to kill any of the other kids if they catch a minor cold.

Adam & Brandi said...

I think rose read your entry wrong. I gathered that you don't send your children to school when they are throwing up, have pink eye, etc. I think people who do are rude and selfish. I can't stand when I see that. It's not fair for the child or anyone they come in contact with. Stay home!!!!!

Melissa said...

I think the child should stay home if they are contagious. I have worked in a preschool and it was so frustrating to have parents dropping off their kids when they knew they were sick. all the other kids always got infected and the teachers too. you don't want the teacher to be sick either. When I would miss work because some kid spread their germs, then I would have to find a sub and I did not have any paid sick days. huge pet peeve of mine if you can't tell already.

The Osborne Family said...

I keep my kids home when they have a fever, vomiting, diarrea, nasty snot, pink eye, or an uncontrollable cough. B was home today because of how bad his cough was yesterday, but he's much better now so he'll be going tomorrow.